Public Safety Officers Save Choking Restaurant Employee

Print PDF
huberm in KDPS News on Aug 02, 2012
Tagged in: News, KDPS Heroes

Kalamazoo, MI: On Wednesday, August 1st, 2012, at 9:58 p.m., Kalamazoo Public Safety officers responded to a report of a man choking at the Jimmy John’s located in the 3100 block of S. Westnedge.  Upon arrival, PSO Nielsen found a twenty-two year-old male employee lying on the floor unresponsive with a blue face. According to witnesses at the restaurant, the employee tried to swallow six pieces of Italian meat in a dare with another employee. The dare quickly tuned deadly when the meat became lodged in the employee’s throat. Prior to PSO Nielsen’s arrival, fellow employees had attempted the Heimlich maneuver on the subject to no avail.  PSO Nielsen immediately began life saving measures consisting of multiple abdomen thrusts eventually dislodging the airway obstruction. After the obstruction was removed, the employee remained unresponsive and unable to breath. PSO Nielsen administered breathing assistance for approximately one minute until the employee was able to breathe on his own. The employee was transported to Bronson hospital and listed in stable condition.

 

 

Anyone who may have information regarding this investigation is asked to call Kalamazoo Public Safety at 337-8994 or Silent Observer at 343-2100 or www.kalamazoosilentobserver.com.

 

 

 

By authority of:  Lt. Matt Huber

Date:  August 1st, 2012

 

Address:  150 E. Crosstown Parkway, Kalamazoo, MI 49001

 

Contact:  Captain Roberto Zuniga, Operations Division, 337-8140